The Episode in 60 Seconds
Getting the basics right
- Don’t underestimate how long it will take you to build sales channels. Invest time into developing them at the same time as you are developing your product.
- Switzerland is too small. Go international fast.
- Be present where you want to build your network.
Managing high growth sales channels
- Your partner has to make an upfront investment in order to be able to sell your product. They will only be willing to do this if they believe in your vision and see an opportunity to grow together with you.
- You should own the selling process and have your partners’ commissions tied to project delivery milestones. This will maximize their incentive to make the customer happy.
- To assure quality, you should own the certification process of everyone who sells your product
Culture at scale
- Leadership is culture. Culture is what drives the company beyond the term of any single manager.
- At scale, culture has to become more explicit in order to keep everyone on board. Write down your values and talk about them often.
- The trust of your employees is your most valuable asset. Do not squander it by paying salaries late or otherwise breaking your word.
Surviving the race to scale
- Growing a company is tough, there is no other way to say it. If you aren’t willing to put in the hours, it may not be the right business for you.
- Sleeping is vital. Learn how to sleep “effectively” by shutting off your thoughts and finding deep relaxation, at least for a few hours.