The Episode in 60 Seconds
People can be an organization’s biggest asset but also one of their greatest pain points. Here are some of Markus Okumus’ key takeaways:
- In the early stages of a company, it is sometimes difficult to attract the necessary talent without being able to offer the corresponding monetary incentives.
- A charismatic, passionate founder will be able to inspire the right people to follow along on the journey.
- Diverse teams are more successful, so keep an eye on this score.
- If diversity happens organically, great. If hiring in your network means you only have people who look like yourself around you, you might want to rethink your approach.
- Every time you triple your number of employees, you have to re-imagine your entire structure.
- Some people are unable or unwilling to grow with the company. Don’t be afraid to let them go.
- If you grow to be a $ 100m revenue company, you’ll need someone who has experience with leading such a company.
- Your values should be more than a subsection on your website.
- Clearly define them and make them visible everywhere.
- Justify your decisions in terms of your values. Your employees will start to identify with and be proud of them.