1:46 – What mistakes do Swiss startups make repeatedly when it comes to culture?
9:01 – The difficulties of creating a culture
12:58 – Important values
20:00 – Scaling company culture: recruiting & on-boarding
35:40 – Treating people fairly
The Episode in 60 Seconds
It’s never too early
- Create culture with intention from the very beginning.
- Start explicitly documenting and “negotiating” your culture as soon as you grow to 10 people or more.
- Hiring the right people is the only way to scale culture.
- Hire for values rather than skills alone.
- Acknowledge that on-boarding new people requires effort from your existing employees.
The topic of salaries
- Fairness and transparency are key, but don’t allow salaries to take center stage in everything you do.
- Base salaries off of what people need to make a living. Allow for different compensation packages based on the risk appetite of different employees.
Letting people go
- Detect and tackle problems as early as possible.
- Provide open feedback and a path to improvement.
- Check-in as often as necessary until the issue is resolved or you let the person go.